Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pretend twins

When we were picking the girls up from creche the other day, one of the carers gave her usual extended-disco-mix account of my girls' every move during the day. She's very young and keen, so I listened politely to the most tedious details (Trudi was already in the car with Hazel by this point). Then the carer leaned forward and said "Can I ask you a question?". I love this moment, people have the funniest questions.

Carer: Are they REAL twins?
Me: Um, yep. They grew in my tummy at the same time, that makes them twins.

(I've been talking to the girls about twins lately, so the toddler-appropriate explanation came to mind.)

Carer: Oh um right. I just. You know.
Me: Did you think they might be pretend twins?
Carer: Well um yes. Ah.

It turns out that she thought that Trudi & I might have each had a baby at about the same time, and decided to call them twins for the fun of it. All the other twins at the creche are really similar frats, or ID, so that might have made her think that really really frat twins were suss.

Poor sweetie, she was ever so nervous! I thought she was very brave for asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment