Saturday, December 22, 2012

"I thought I would feel different"

Here's a post I wrote on the girls' fourth birthday. I stuck it in Drafts and never posted it.

    **********

Four years ago, two people were taken out of my body. I gestated them long enough for them to breathe on their own, and since then they have grown a little bit each day. Today, both girls walk, talk, and eat on their own, and have their own internal lives.

Yesterday Ivy said that no-one else would be allowed to eat her cat cake. Today she was fine with her cake being devoured by others.

During the party, I noticed that Hazel was missing. She had snuck away to do some drawing. She knows how to handle overwhelming social events!
When I found her, I told her that she was four now. She looked stunned. Gazed at the wall. Turned to me with wide eyes and open mouth. "But I thought I'd feel different!"

And then she bent back to her drawing, narrating it quietly. "and the villain jumps up in the tree and here is a tiger to lick his head and they go flying up in space and..."

No comments:

Post a Comment