Saturday, March 16, 2013

Not camping in the rain

For these reasons, I am not camping in the rain.

First, we booked a hut, not a campsite. Wilson's Promontory is notorious for dramatic weather, and we aren't keen on digging trenches at 3am.

Second, I didn't go anyway. I write this from my bed, while Trudi and Hazel and Ivy are far away. Three weeks ago I twisted and bent over to get heavy shopping out of the car, and I felt a distinct PING in my lower back. After two relapses I am finally improving, but I can't sit down for more than a few minutes. The thought of sitting in the car for hours there an back made me sad.

So here I am, having a solo weekend. It's been a blast, sort of.

What I have done:


  • Slept in until 7:15am.
  • Lazed in bed for another hour, listening to Minke the cat snoring in the next room.
  • Cooked chickpeas. Not sure what I'll do with them.
  • Had a lie-down.
  • Made mayonnaise using a bamix, which is dead easy and took two minutes. Oh my goodness, it is so fine! I actually made two batches but I threw the first lot out. I had used olive oil, and it turns out that the fast-moving blades somehow chop the oil into tiny bits that taste utterly bitter. The second batch (canola oil, mustard and fresh dill) is amazing.
  • Lay in bed some more.

Things to come:

  • Fleur is coming over for dinner tonight. I plan to make butter chicken and freeze some for another night. She is bringing DVDs and I expect I will make some dessert involving cream.
  • Lie down for most of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment