Thursday, June 3, 2010

Child lock

Today Hazel climbed onto the teetery hall table, and it leapt out from under her and they both fell in a tangle. She now has a nasty bruise across her cheek. Hours later, when Trudi came home, Hazel reported to her, "Table fell over. Cheek."

In other news, a month ago, I would have told you that our dishwasher did not have a child lock. Now, I know that it does. What happened in the interim? Hazel.

Hazel has been keen on the dishwasher for ages. When she was first learning to stand, she would haul herself upright so that she could press the beeping Pause button again and again. More recently, she's learned to press the On/Off button too, and it was clearly only going to get worse. So I got the manual out and tried to initiate Child Lock. I followed the instructions with no success. Then I googled the situation, and found lots of people who have our (cheapy) dishwasher complaining about how the child lock won't kick in. So I gave up.

Then a month ago, I found that I could not make the dishwasher go. The little display said CL! All I had to do was hold down the Program button for ten seconds and it all worked again. This means that someone (probably Hazel) has fiddled with the dishwasher to the extent that Child Lock was initiated. 

Since then, Child Lock has worked like a dream. Hazel can still Pause the damn thing, but she can't make it start up without my help.

If I was the kind of person who saw portents in their kids' every action, I would suggest that Hazel will be a technical genius of some sort. But I'm not so I won't. Instead I think that our dishwasher sucks. When it dies we will get a Miele if we have a spare $2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment