Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A bad few weeks

We've all been sick.

Ivy caught some virus three weeks ago, and had fevers for five days. Eventually Trudi said "Take her to the doctor" and I said stuff like "what can a GP do about fever, it's just a cold thingy, blah blah". So I took her, and the GP diagnosed post-viral croup & bronchitis.  Bad mother. Two doses of prenisolone and a course of antibiotics, and she is better.

Of course the rest of us caught her virus, so T & I battled sore throats, coughs, and then I got sinusitis. Throbbing awful snotty and disgusting. I was totally repellent. Plus Trudi somehow injured her shoulder.

Hazel started with the fevers, a few days after Ivy started. She was on alternating panadol & nurofen, but her fevers keep going up to 40. I took her along to the GP for a checkup with Ivy, and because she had nurofen in her, she looked fine. GP listened to her chest, all OK.

Late that afternoon, Hazel said her tummy was sore, that it had been scratched. There was no mark. She woke screaming at 8:30pm, saying her tummy was sore, plus a fever again. Nurofen, back to sleep. Woke again just after midnight, miserable, still saying her tummy hurt. The kid is very consistent! So I rang Nurse On Call, who eventually said to take her to emergency.

So Hazel and I were in hospital for the rest of the night. They never found anything wrong with her tummy, but her oxygen level was low, and they gave her a chest x-ray and diagnosed pneumonia! Bad bad bad mother again. Antibiotics, all better now.

Both girls were so wrecked that they were having 2 and 3-hour naps every day, and still asleep by 7:30 at night. I had 3 hours sleep on the night we went to hospital, I am worn out after a three weeks of broken nights and rough days, with one bouncy kid & one miserable one.

They have both now finished their antibiotics and are pretty fit. They are eating again (each went on an unnerving hunger strike). Off to creche tomorrow.

But... at 5am yesterday, as I was leaning over to wipe Ivy's bum on the toilet (yes you needed to know that), my back went Ping. So now I am hobbling like a 90-year-old, and looking forward to my follow-up osteo appointment on Friday. Poor me.

No comments:

Post a Comment