Sunday, November 8, 2015

Recipe for Rhubarb Chutney with Curry

Here is the link: http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/as-requested-curried-rhubarb-chutney.11328/

And here are the ingredients, in case the page disappears before I get to make it:

Still have more rhubarb than you know what to do with? Like Mango Chutney? Then you will probably like this. It comes from a recipe which is at least 30 years old, given to me by an elderly neighbour, who was given it many years ago by an elderly friend. This is half the original recipe as I prefer lots of variety rather than gallons of one type.

2Ib Rhubarb
1/2 Ib sultanas (I didn't use these as I don't like them in chuts)
1oz curry powder (I added just a touch more for some va va voom)
1 cup malt vinegar (I didn't have enough malt so it was 50/50 malt and balsamic)
2 large onions
2Ib sugar
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon salt (I halved that as I am trying to keep our salt intake low)

Chop the rhubarb into small chunks and chop the onion. Place all of the ingredients into a large preserving pan and cook slowely until everything is tender and pulpy which will take between 40 and 80 minutes. Bottle in sterile bottles and label when cold.

Because I missed out the sultanas I added an extra onion and a couple of extra stalks of rhubarb. It needs to mature to loose that raw curry powder taste if you can keep it long enough that is!

EJ Jul 21, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment