Sunday, February 12, 2012

How do normal people roll over in bed?

I'm sure it used to be easy. I bet that I just rolled on over, and thought nothing of it. Snuffle, mutter, back to sleep. Or maybe I slept right through the whole thing?

Then I gestated two humans at the same time, and everything (and I really do mean everything) went pear-shaped.

Most women who have been pregnant have found it hard to get comfy at night. Many have developed a pillow addiction - one under the knees, another between the knees, one to the left and one to the right, plus a couple of extras flapping around, just in case. And some have found it hard to turn over in bed.

When I was baking my babies, I found that I had to turn over carefully and slowly, with breaks as I went. First, shift my hips to the left. Next, position both hands on the right. Then, transfer weight onto hands, and let distended belly hang, while slowly continuing to rotate. Reposition hands to remain balanced and to gain traction. Land on right hip, let everything else descend, then faff about with pillows to allow for a successful landing. Rest a while to regain composure. Remember that lying on the right side is Bad For The Babies and start the whole flippan thing again.

This went on for months.

Then some stuff happened, and now my girls are three.

Now I can't remember how it goes. My body does not remember what to do. The autopilot has no idea, so I have to do it manually. Slide hips to right (or is it left?). Move hands, or maybe I don't have to do that any more. Hurl self about, and overdo it because there is not as much resistance these days. Land, and wonder if this was meant to be more comfortable. Feel silly. Rest a while to get my breath back (I really should do some exercise). Now I'm wide awake.

Will my old skills come back, or is this my new normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment