Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Sailor Home from the Sea

I came home today, with Ivy and Hazel. We've been at Northpark Hospital since Monday, learning about settling and getting some SLEEP.

I slept. The girls slept.

The things that have changed:

* We feed them only every 3-4 hours. I try to stretch their feeds towards the 4-hour mark, but 3 is fine too.

* Hazel still sleeps only for 40 minutes at a time in the day, but I always try to resettle her when she wakes. Usually doesn't work but I should keep trying. I have lots of new cool patting skills.

* At night, they go to bed at 6-8pm, whenever it makes sense, and they go to sleep fairly well. If they wake up I resettle them. They continue to sleep. Then at around 10 (four hours after their last feed), I go in and feed them as gently as possible, then back they go to bed. This arrangement means that they SLEEP UNTIL 7AM WITHOUT NEEDING TO BE FED!

It's amazing. The first night in the hospital was OK: they slept most of the night but I churned and didn't sleep. The second night I took a Temazapam and slept well, but got up to feed them at about 1am. After that, I didn't need the sleeping pill any more, and the little bunnies slept 11, 12, or 13 hours each night. UNBELIEVABLE! Will it continue? Stay tuned to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment