Monday, May 11, 2009

Sushi kids

At the swimming class on Saturday, I heard a mum trying to bribe her crying son to continue with his lesson. Her choice of food with which to bribe him? Sushi. He was about three.

Last week at the Rainbow Playgroup, Two other mums held the girls while I went over the road to get my lunch. Luxury. I got myself some hand rolls.

Ivy get all excited when I whipped out my little treat. I offered her a sniff of my avocado roll and she attacked it. Five minutes later the roll was half gone and she was green and ricey. I offered the stump to Hazel, who was similarly overjoyed. I now had two sticky ricey green babies, nothing to clean them up with (I am a rookie mum), and a worn-out piece of sushi.

I dabbed the girls down with a dry paper napkin (it had no effect on the gummy rice that they had worked into their suits), then I packed us up and went home.

This week I went prepared. Before we went in to playgroup we all went to the sushi shop. I was wearing Hazel on front in my NEW ergo baby carrier, and carrying Ivy on my hip. We got some hand rolls, and the nice fellow cut them in half for us.

In the playgroup room I set the girls up in the corners of the couch (it has an easy-wipe-down vinyl surface, plus they were sitting on square nappies). They got stuck in to their half-rolls, and got all green and ricey again. Hazel got nori up her nose, and a great time was had by all.

We are having a sad nap at the moment. Both girls are waking up crying. Is it because they are very tired? Or did the rice not agree with their tummies? We will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment