Friday, August 7, 2009

Dummies redux

So Ivy got addicted to dummies again. This was ages ago, during their last cold. For a while she was pretty low-key about it - just give me my dummy, mum, and I'll go to sleep. Thanks. Snore.

Then she started waking up once a night and crying for mummy to find the damn dummy and put the damn thing in her hand.

Then she started doing that in the middle of naps too.

Then she started doing it a few times a night.

Then I said loudly at 3 am, "That's it, we're going cold turkey on the dummies again".

It's been three nights without dummies, and we are good. Ivy's finding it hard to go to sleep, but all it takes is a little bit of patting and shooshing. That's diminishing, so I hope she'll be independently dropping off to sleep again. For the first two nights she slept right through from 6.30 for twelve hours. Last night she had a few wake-ups. but no worse than when she had a dummy.

Her naps are still brief; she doesn't seem to be able to manage to resettle herself after her first 40-minute cycle. That will come too, in time.

This is your correspondent in Tedious-Details-of-Life-with-Babies-Land, signing out.

2 comments:

  1. Never tedious - no detail too small. More like entrancing. Liked "redux". Liked "mirabile dictu" too. Had to look them up. But you did misspell "independently", mirabile dictu. Lots of love, Nanna Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked Liss what mirabile dictu meant a while ago.. I came across it in a book. How useful to have a sister who teaches Latin! I find myself thinking that often. Thanks for the independAntly tip - all fixed now.

    ReplyDelete