Friday, July 3, 2009

Hazel had a Special night last night

Hazel is still preparing to crawl. She does the rocking-on-all-fours thing whenever she thinks of it. For some reason, she tends to think of it when she has just gone to bed.

Last night she was hooting and singing and rocking and barrelling round her cot for an hour after bedtime, which was at 6 pm as usual. Ivy got increasingly irritated, and eventually dropped into a fitful sleep, leaving Hazel on her own.

Eventually we broke the Golden Bedtime Rule and got Hazel up. From 7 until 7.30 pm she sat on the lounge room floor in her nap-sack, hooting, singing, waving her arms, and dancing to her inner soundtrack (to do this, she bobs up and down, and tips her head left and right). We ate our omelettes and observed.

We gave her another round of Goodnight Moon (great book, thanks Kirsty), then off she want to bed. This time I patted her until she dropped off. All was well.

She woke crying at 11pm, again at 1 am, then again at 5 am. Each time she was rocking on all fours. She seemed to be unable to stop, and yet desperate to sleep, poor possum. Each time I put her on her back, and patted her to sleep.

I think she was so into this learning-to-crawl endeavour that her whole life was utterly focussed on it, to the extent that her body kept on rehearsing it even when she wanted to sleep.

I have had this happen with Tetris.

Tonight they went to bed at 6.45 pm, and they fell asleep immediately. I hope Hazel's phase was only one night long.

In other news, here is a funny story about a clueless dad: Not Always Right.

2 comments:

  1. the tetris thing used to happen to me all the time when I was addicted (read: when I was procrastinating while doing my Masters). Freaky, but kind of cool in a weird mind-altered way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to play Tetris after school in the computer room. On the way home I sat in the back of the bus and watched the cars behind us. My brain tried to Tetris-i-fy the lanes of traffic.

    ReplyDelete