Sunday, July 19, 2009

Photos of second sourdough loaves

Well this time my bread is pretty poor. I again did not follow a recipe, and I was hoping that my beginner's luck would hold, but no dice.

This time I left the dough lying around rising for too long. The bugs ate up all the yummy whatever-they-eat, and then they starved. By the time I baked the loaves, the rising-ness was dying down, so they didn't rise in the oven much at all. The bubbles in the bread are all small and even. Nice sour taste though!

As I was cleaning up the kitchen despondently, Trudi had a look around, then asked me if making sourdough bread counted as a hobby. This is shorthand for "Are you doing this to save us money, because I don't think it's worth it". I clarified that it is indeed a hobby, which means that I can be crap at it, because it is fun.

It turns out the the bread is still very much edible, you just need to toast each slice for five minutes.

Here are the photos to prove it:

The first loaf (silicone "tin" again, dodgy slash, pretty much no oven spring):





The second loaf (on a pizza stone, this was the nicest-looking one, but still not much oven spring):





The third loaf (a disaster of flatness, but it actually has the nicest crumb texture):



No comments:

Post a Comment