Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sourdough photos

I had so much dough that I made three loaves.

I totally did not follow any of the recipes I had read, because we went away for the weekend so I left the rising dough in the fridge for 2.5 days. Also I just randomly threw flour and water in for the first couple of stages. Also I used cake-making flour (soft) instead of bread-making flour (hard) cos I have not yet taken the time to go to Scary Marg and Off-Putting Maree's.

So those are my excuses.

One was a tiny one in my new little silicone bread "tin". That one is in the freezer. It rose oddly cos my slashing was suspect:



Here it is all sliced and ready for the freezer:



And here is a close-up so that you can appreciate the inner texture:



The second loaf was supposed to be one of those long, fairly narrow, tall things. The standard "sourdough loaf" shape, the shape of expensive artisan loaves. My version rose OK, but it also spread. The dough was very soft, so when I transferred it to the hot pizza stone for baking, the ends gooped around, so this was the result:



However it still tasted great with Nutella:



The third loaf was really enormous. It was supposed to be a jolly round little thing, but I had so much dough that it got out of hand. It was as big as its whole pizza stone, and it also gooped over the edge a bit. Here is the proud new mother:



And here is a close-up, so you can appreciate the improved slashing technique:



I have not started on my second sourdough foray because we have enough bread for the next two weeks. Let me know if you want some.

Heck the girls are awake, better go do some Parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment